We went for the cheapest brand although it was still a bit more expensive than regular milk and of course went for our favorite 1%. Here is the carton of Horizon organic milk in all it's shining glory. See the shine?
Ok, maybe there isn't much shine but to me, it was like looking at a carton of miracle juice. Let me explain why. I find milk incredibly earthy - it's the first thing that babies drink, it's what we naturally produce from our own bodies (wow!), and it's something that we share in common with other mammals. Ok, a rather random assortment of ideas but they're all true.
To me milk has a mystical quality to it. It's crazy incredible that our bodies actually produce it! I still can't get over that. On a side note I asked my pregnant friend how she is doing today and she replied in email by saying "It's exhausting creating a baby!". I just loved her response!
Anyway I digress - sorry I'm very distracted while writing this post...texts, emails, America's Got Talent, doggies playing. Arghhhh!
So where was I going? Oh yes, organic milk. Ok, here's the skinny (pun intended) the stuff tastes just like the version full of hormones & pesticides and who needs those? I think that we will officially switch over to drinking organic milk - I hate knowing that I'm ingesting pesticides and hormones and anything I can do affordably to avoid that, I'm there.
What exactly is organic milk? Well a couple key points:
* The cows live how cows should - roaming around in green pastures, basking in the sun, providing a perch for the neighborhood birds and most important, eating an organic and green diet
* The cows are not pumped with medicines - rather are treated via homeopathy and herbal remedies for any of their ailments
* The cows aren't fed growth hormones which force them to be milk-ready when we want them to be...rather they are milked when they are ready.
In the end it comes down to the saying "you are what you eat". If you're drinking milk produced from a cow that has eaten common feed (cow meat, diseased animals, skin, hooves, blood, drugs, unhealthy amounts of grain, plastics, chemicals, hair, feathers)...well...you get the point. Also if there are any fans of "What the bleep do you know?" you'll know the power of a happy cow. You just can't go wrong with organic milk!
To end...you know, I can't imagine how we got to a place when it became okay to veer away from how milk should be gathered and drank. As I read up on organic milk I said...my goodness, I thought this was how milk always was gathered! Yikes! I would encourage you to try the stuff out. It's a tad bit more expensive but the health benefits are very much worth it.
GO ORGANIC!!
4 comments:
I think organic milk tastes way better than normal. I buy it when I know I will get to enjoy it (like when hubby won't be around. He drinks milk like it is water.)
I actually can't stand normal milk. I remember milk being tasty, creamy, and fresher when I was a kid. Nothing like today's milk.
Oh, and thanks for delurking! I check your blog sometimes, too. I assume that by Michelle you mean Mo? (I see your name- bodaat- on her blog comments and follow the link on over.)
Oh no! Does this mean that my cover has been blown?? :):)
once in a while, i splurge and buy a bottle of "raw" milk from whole foods. THAT, my friends, is how milk is meant to taste!
it is NOT how much it's supposed to cost though. sigh.
:)
Oooooh, what's raw milk like??
Post a Comment