Monday, October 27, 2008

Parrots, Giraffes and Goats

How often does one get to have that kind of subject title?

On Friday, we decided to go to the WildLife World Zoo in Litchfield Park. Now I'm kind of sceptical towards any zoo that doesn't have a polar bear in it but let me tell you this zoo rocked! There were all kinds of animals that you wouldn't normally see - some that made you go 'awwww' and more fun were the animals that made you go 'ewwwww'. I do like the Phoenix Zoo but they seem to have an abundance of various varieties of African Gazelles/Goats and after you've seen about 5 different types of African goats, you start yawning.

Right now, WildLife seems to have quite a number of baby animals which of course is a crowd pleaser. They are so damn cute! If you go now, you will see baby monkeys (quite a number!), a baby giraffe and....hmmm...what else? My memory seems to be failing. I'm pretty sure there were other babies on display. The baby monkeys were so stinking cute. I've promised myself that if we win the lottery, I will get spider monkeys and also hire a monkey keeper (come on, we already pick up enough poop!).

The other selling point on this zoo is the insane amount of opportunities to feed animals which isn't something you can really say no to, can you? How often do you get to feed a giraffe, ostrich, llama, goat, deer, monkey and parrot in the same day? That's right folks...pick your chin up off the ground. It all happens here at WildLife World Zoo. (They should totally pay me for this post). Make sure you bring lots of quarters with you to get food from the dispensers although we did find a way to get food once we ran out of quarters. It requires a lot of shaking - that's all I'll say. :) Below you will see some fun pictures feeding the parrots and the giraffes. I wasn't a huge fan of the llamas and goats - they're kinda pushy and they tried to eat each one of our clothing. Thankfully they didn't get my pants! Now that would have been a bit embarassing, wouldn't it?

The only thing that made my insides squirm was the fact that these beautiful and majestic animals were caged/enclosed in areas that just seemed too small. The two beautiful baby tigers (oh, I just remembered!) were in a cage that could have been bigger. The laughing dogs (or whatever they're called) didn't have ample room to really have a nice jog/sprint and the madagascar roaches (eeeeeeeee-weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!) were all shoved in to a glass tank. Ok fine, so I'm not complaining too much about the latter. They were so gross, I couldn't even look at them. Urgh. Just imagine coachroaches that are two inches wide and about three inches long in an oval shape. Urgh. Blurgh. Yurgh. You've got to see them.



Ok, I was so fascinated with this creature that I don't know what it is but it's from the gecko/lizard family. Rich's Mom and I were obsessed with taking pictures of this thing.





Mama monkey cuddling her baby. Altogether now - "awwwww".





The baby monkey on the right was so hip. He was swinging around like it was going out of style. Please note how his tail is hooked to the cage. These spider monkeys use their tail like an extra arm/leg. Kinda makes me wish that I had such a tail. Not sure what I would do with it but it would be fun to swish around and use as an extra arm. Ooooh, halloween costume! Just kidding.


Rich's Mom and brother in the petting zoo. This deer was a little on the peculiar side as I believe that it peed while laying down. Can you see?



Rich fending off the goats and the llama. Although it was called a petting zoo, I'm pretty sure that there was some connection between this and the UFC. The llama was ready to kick ass!



Rich's Mom's husband feeding a parrot. They had a bucket full of apple slices and you take a slice in your hand and lay it out until a parrot inside the enclosure lands on your hand and pigs out.


Really, do I need to explain this picture?



These parrots would land anywhere on your body. Rich's buddy landed on his shoulder and leaned down for his treat. Me? I had one sticking it's head down my shirt. Nice, huh?




Happy fear.



This giraffe was pretty smart and I've named him Galdorf. We didn't know how to feed Galdrof but he showed us how by sticking out his extremely long and slimey tongue. We then put the feed directly on his tongue as he curled it up to avoid any feed dropping. Galdorf the giraffe is very smart indeed.


Rich's Mom feeding Galdorf. You can see the baby giraffe way off in the distance.


Rich tricked the Galdorf by offering his hand as if he was going to give him feed and then at the last minute, he pet his nose. Who's smarter? Galdorf or Rich? Hmm....

No comments: