My friend Judy passed away on Nov 12th and today was her memorial service. Oh it was so tough to go to. It was hard to say goodbye to sweet Judy. I became Judy's friend as she is the Mother of Benita who I met years ago. Benita is a wonderul, beautiful lady whom I've remained in steady contact with through the years. And as I got to know Benita more and more, I came to befriend her Mom Judy.
Judy was a lady of petite stature but whose personality more than compensated for that. She radiated an energy that was warm, comforting and loving. An energy that showed her strength, her resiliency through the years and her steadfast desire to be the rock for those around her. When I first met Judy, she was in bed with her dressing gown on and surrounding her was the Sunday newspaper in all of its various sections. She looked up at me, took her glasses off of her face and opened up her arms. Benita said "Kavita this is my Mom. Mom, this is my friend Kavita". I can't describe it but just by looking at dear Judy I knew that I could only call her Mom and so I said "Hi Mom, I'm Kavita" and then we hugged. And ever since then, I referred to her as Mom because it only seemed right. Calling her any other name would have been absurd. She was motherly to the core, a true matriach in her family and you knew that there was no messing around with Judy. She meant business but did it with a gentle and loving nature. Oh Judy. (pout)
Judy would join Benita and I at times for breakfast or lunch. I remember one time I went round to Benita's house and Judy, Benita and I sat and played cards - Skip-Bo - for an hour or so. I learnt today at the Memorial Service that Judy was a killer Skip-Bo player! No wonder I kept on losing! Judy and I had three main things in common - one is Benita :), the second was art and the third was our love of gardening. I remember one time I was over at the house and she showed me all of her different potted plants. One by one, she pointed each one out and I would ask her questions about how much water they needed, what season to plant, etc. And when I discovered her love for art, I had referred her to a local art store that I favor. It's my regret that I never took her there personally as that was something we had talked about doing.
The joy in Judy's passing is that she is now upstairs with our Father and with her husband Hal whom I never got to meet. Although my heart hurts for Judy's family, I also feel peaceful knowing that Judy and Hal are running hand-in-hand through fields of the most exquisite flowers and catching up on all the years that they were separated in body.
The Memorial Service was beautiful with many of her family members and friends speaking fondly of Judy. Her GrandSon (Benita's son) sung a beautiful song with his guitar and members from her Colorado retreat Crystal Springs also sung a special song called Sister. It was just such a beautiful tribute and celebration of Judy's adventurous and spectacular life.
Judy - I am blessed to have known you and be covered in your love. Thank you for all of our wonderful conversations, Skip-Bo games and laughter. I'll see ya in Heaven friend where I will beat you in Skip-Bo! Love you!
2 comments:
Dear Kuv,
I am sure your friend Judy has read all the beautiful things you have written about her from her Father's house up above and is sending you her fondest love.
Mum
Yes I'm sure of it too Mum. Thank you for your message. :)
Post a Comment