Monday, January 5, 2009

Fresh air

That's right. That's the one thing that I constantly crave when I'm in Vegas. Since people smoke everywhere (even in the restrooms!!) I'm always so ready to come home to breathing in fresh air. By Sunday morning, my lungs were protesting to the nth degree - it was painful!

Anyway, as you might guess I'm back from Vegas. And back in one piece albeit a little on the tired side. Well a bit more than little! I have realized that I just can't par-tay like I used to. Well let me scratch that. I can par-tay like I used to, I just can't recover like I used to.

This weekend has been in the making for quite a while now - probably over 6 months if I can remember correctly. Freshman year at University of Michigan was a very momentous year for me as I broke out of my little shell and began to take steps as an independent lady (envision snappy Beyonce song in the background). That first year was tough as I was away from my family for the first time ever but my experieces were cushioned by the wonderful friendships that I found in my dorm and in a neighboring dorm. See, much to my parents' delight I was placed in an all girls' dorm freshman year. "Eeeeeks!" was my first thought but half-way in to y first year at college I realized that I wouldn't have had it any other way.

I made life-time friends at Stockwell Hall. Life. Time. Friends. And to make it even better, we befriended a group of guys at a neighboring guys' only hall in a mixed dorm - Cousins' Hall. And together we had endless nights of fun and mayhem! It's amazing that after all these years we are all still in touch and it's even more awesome that we got to all see each 10 years after we first met!!

10 years. Wow. Am I getting old or what?? Haha! Love it!

My best girl friends came - Kelly and Suzi. These girls know me inside out and vice versa. We can talk about anything and let me tell you that ain't no lie. Name it and we've talked about it. (wink). And honestly same for Christos, Paul and Casey. These guys are like my brothers - honestly they are simply and purely my brothers. We too can talk about anything under the sun and trust me, the conversations were very fun, interesting and canded this weekend!!

So what did we do in Vegas? Well probably the standard pot pourri of activities - lots of walking, visiting swanky hotels, some of us gambled, lots of dancing and partying, lots of late nights and one big buffet. :) I am proud to say that I did not gamble once. Yes I am shining my halo as we speak. However I did accidentally drink WAY too much on Saturday night so I guess that tarnishes the halo a tad bit.

It was such an awesome weekend. We had so much fun just enjoying each others' company and it was a pleasant reminder of how solid our friendships are. I love these people - genuine love and my heart was feeling full the whole weekend!

Now I will also say that I am ready to never go back to Vegas again! That place, I swear...there is something that breathes in Vegas that doesn't gel with me. I don't know how to explain it. Perhaps it's all the sleazy guys that prowl the streets, or the pungent smell of smoke that lingers in the air, or the empty beer bottles that litter the streets in the morning... I know... I making it out to seem like an awful city which it isn't. It's just something about that city that doesn't sit well with me. So I'm looking forward to a reunion in a different city next time!

Anyway for now here are some pictures from the weekend!



Kelly, Suzi and I in the lobby of Paris Paris


Paul and his girlfriend Liz


Casey and his fiancee Jen


Christos and I!


And lastly, us girls having a grand old time on Saturday evening!

4 comments:

Laura @ My Thoughts-Uninterrupted said...

Glad you had fun in Vegas! I do agree with you though...I'm glad I went once, but I don't really have a desire to go back.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA! I love the last photo. Next time we do this, you can choose the place. I think I'm done with Las Vegas for a long time too.

leaner said...

Sounds like a really great weekend. I get the same feeling from Vegas, never have liked it. But know lots of people who do.

Max-e said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun. I unfortunately lost touch with all my old school and university friends, though I have recently made contact with some after a "life time" and it was fun catching up.
I know what you mean about cigarette smoke. I get terrible hay fever and my wife gets asthmatic - we declared our home a no smoking zome many years before it became fashionable to do so.