For the past several weekends, I have taken advantage of the cooler early morning weather and got some planting done! I'm tired of the perennials (seasonal flowers) that die every Summer. Every Summer, I 100% give up on my garden because I get so depressed with this stupid heat killing everything off. I started switching over to drought-resistant and low-water plants last October after taking a couple of gardening classes. I had finally got some plants actually in the ground (straying away from my traditional potted plant garden) and those plants are doing great! I can't wait to see how they flourish through the Summer! So following suit (sorry, I'm rambling), a couple weekends ago I headed over to Summer Winds Nursery and got some annuals that I know will actually last! I also had an idea (generously and unknowingly donated by Mo!) to use trellises to cover up a ghastly cement wall that made me cringe every time I went out side. This is what it looked like before...

The three wicker candle holders just weren't really quite doing the trick in camouflaging the wall!
And this is now what it looks like!

You can always trust a good hearty bouganveilla to do the trick! I got trellises that actually spike in to the soil in the pot - neat, huh? I've already started to weave a couple of the branches through the trellis and this time next year, the trellis should look pretty good. I also thought about putting some twinkle lights in there too. Over this next year, I really want to work on transforming the outside area in to a place that we can hang out at. Right now, we don't spend any time out there due to the not so great seating and Rich's incredible fear of insects. Hahaha! He's going to kill me for that!
Here's a closer look at the bouganveilla... Oh! And....I repotted both all by myself! I'm pretty proud of doing that all by myself. All the swimming I've been doing has been helping my arm muscles I guess!

I'm so happy with this idea! Question though....do you think I need one more pot/trellis combo? Rich thinks yes and I'm undecided.
And then here are some other pictures of the garden. I'm so happy to see it still flourishing through the Summer, granted the
real heat (115 degrees baby!) hasn't hit us just yet.
My boxwood has finally produced one flower!
Umm, don't know what this is exactly (salvia maybe?) but it's a very pretty red flower!
9 comments:
Okay first of all, WOWSA on your gardening skills. I love the pots and trellises and I say go for a third. I think 3 of anything is lucky... just my uniformed opinion of course.
About this trip to Portland... ARE YOU KIDDING??? I'm so excited to meet you and Rich. The only thing awkward about it will be me. I'm always awkward in any setting. I'd really love to meet you.
Email me at: gefilte01@msn.com
so we can start planning how and when. I have an Ayurvedic teacher coming from Hawaii for workshops next weekend too, so I'll just have to plan around that a little bit.
Can't wait,
Jan
Kuv, I agree with Rich, definitely one more pot of Bougainvillea is needed for that wall.
Picture No. 5 is Salvia and it comes in different colors. Dead-head them as soon as the flowering is over to keep the blooms coming.
Picture 8 is Portulaca. You can propagate it very easily bu cutting bits off and sticking them in a pot.
Where is the jasmine??? It will survive the heat.
Do you have curry leaf plant?? That will survive the heat, a nice shady corner will have it thriving. I have seen it flourishing in planters very well. Wish I could bring one with us, it's almost growing wild in my friend's garden.
Simply beautiful - both the prose and the pix :-)
Simply beautiful - both the prose and the pix :-)
3 of something always, always looks better. I think it's something to do with golden means, ratios and the fibonacci scale but don't quote me on that, it's just something I remember being told at art college! If you look at a lot of film shots, you'll notice the picture is usually divided in thirds with the main action going on roughly on one of the thirds lines as it is aesthetically pleasing, unless the director is trying to create another effect. I'll stop rambling now - beautiful garden though, I love bougainvillea and I wish I could grow some nice hot weather flowers on my little English terrace! xx
Jan - looking forward to meeting you soon! thank you for your feedback on the garden. i always feel like not it's good enough but maybe i'm being too harsh on myself!
Mama - i can't wait to get all of your gardening advice come november, IN PERSON!!! Where do I dead-head the salvia? My jasmine died and I'm scared to try again. Also, i haven't found a curry leaf plant. (pout)
Dave!! - thanks buddy!
Emy - i love you lots, have i told you that lately? loved your feedback and you're not rambling! maybe you can pot a couple plants for the summer before it's get cold again. :)
I'll give the advice and get the boys do all the hard work:)
Sounds good??
Ummm yes, I love the trellises (trelli?), they really spruce up the wall. As for your snapdragon, I honestly see those growing in the desert, so maybe they're desert plants? Lord only knows. Glad to see everything's growing!
Mum - sounds like a plan that I can live with!
Lauren - i'm definitely looking forward to seeing if I can keep the snap dragons alive. they get some sun but are in the shade quite a bit too for the day. we'll see, we'll see! how is your garden going?
Post a Comment