Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Our babies

Isn't she just like a little human?



For as being as shy as she usually is in front of the camera, she did not move one bit while I took a kazillion pictures of her underneath her blanket.  There's no denying it.  She absolutely adores her bed.


Just look at that face?  How could you not fall in love with her?  Whenever the bedroom door is open, we can rest assured that she is on her bed.  Last night, both dogs were in their beds by 9pm.  I swear that they are just like little kids although these are the kinds of kids that you don't have to nag to go to bed.  They willingly are at their regular nighty spots by 9pm.

You know it's wierd, I have to share something with you.  Shila is not just a dog to me.  In fact, I don't even see a dog when I look at her.  I see Shila.  I see my best friend.  My daughter.  My part-time sister.  My buddy.  My guard.  I see a personality.  I see quirks and uniqueness, how funny she can be and how empathic she can be.  I see her love and loyalty for Rich and I.  I see all this and yet I do not see a dog.  I see my Shila.  Wierd, huh?  I'm sure some of my animal-loving friends might be able to relate. 

Tonight we went Christmas shopping for them.  It's the first time I've done this - get them actual presents.  They always get special meals, but not wrapped gifts.  Rich and I got them each a stuffed bone and then 3 toys to share.  They are going to have a ball of a time!  It was fun to shop together with Rich for them, although his patience runs dry a lot faster than mine.  At one point he told me that we only needed to get them 2 toys to share to which I replied "we don't have babies...they are our babies...they deserve lots of toys...let me spoil our babies".  Wahhhhhh???  What the crap was that??  I didn't even think about it.  It just came spewing out of my mouth.  The word...."babies".  And a reference to us having babies?  Wahhhhhh?  It's that nesting thing, huh?  Urgh...it better stop soon!  I just may have scared Rich a little.  :)

So the toys are wrapped and underneath the tree.  One of the dogs has been trying to get in to some of the human presents for the couple of days.  Well...until yesterday when I yelled at them and instructed them to stop being bah-humbug about the presents.  Now I hope they can't detect the smell of toys otherwise tomorrow when I come from work it might be an early Christmas for us underneath the tree!

6 comments:

Dakota O. said...

It is so funny that Shila is under that blanket! As a fellow animal lover I think it's perfectly fine to think of your dog(s) in terms of family - as far as I'm concerned they are. And we even celebrate Milo's birthday and adoption day - so if anyone is going overboard it might be me:)

Kavi said...

I can completely relate. We had a lab retreiver called Don !

I can relate to every word that you speak of here !

Merry Xmas !

pink dogwood said...

I can relate to you completely :)

One of our dogs (lucky) has taken to nap under the christmas tree - I guess she likes the feel of the velvet skirt. So we had to move the presents to a side and make room for her :)

Chandrika Shubham said...

Our pets are best of best friends. :)
Shila is very cute. Hope you both enjoy each other company. :)

Best wishes.

bodaat said...

Oh Lizzie, definitely not overboard when they become part of the family. :) I need to look up Shila's adoption day and celebrate that too. Good idea.

Kavi, labs are great dogs! I always have thought that maybe Shila had some lab in her as her nature is very similar to a lab's.

Pink Dogwood - we would do the same thing!!

Chandrika, we definitely love our cutie pie dogs!

Lauren said...

I totally get it. I can tell you all about Sophie in a way that I can explain a girlfriend or kid for that matter. As for the baby thing...I swear someone needs to write a book about how after you get married that freaking clock gets switched to "BABY NOW" mode, because sweet jesus, it swept me off my feet (and freaked Sir Sunderland out a bit too).