Oh I had such a fabulous day today! I finally went desert wildflower searching! I have wanted to do this for a couple years now but have missed the season every year. This time I was determined to do some research online and then head out with my camera. During my research many websites indicated that there would be a flurry of wildflowers due to our heavy rains this Winter. Boy were they right! I already knew that one of the hot spots was Highway 60 on the way to Globe and my research indicated that that is one of the easiest places to spot wildflowers so that is where I headed. I might try something a bit more challenging next weekend - the Lost Dutchman trail apparently has a good showing but I wasn't so much in the mood for a hike today. I just wanted to get out there in my car and be in awe.
Now listen, some of you may not understand the excitement that us Arizonans have over wildflowers. We live in a desert and while you begin to fine tune your eye and redefine the word 'green' in AZ, you still realize every day that you live in a dusty and rocky desert. When your surroundings start to get covered in such beautiful colors, it's akin to a part of your spirit coming alive. It might sound dramatic but that is how I felt today! Alive!
My special guest today was Shila. I tried to convince Rich to come but not only was he not thrilled about it, I knew that he wouldn't have the patience to watch me caress my camera for 20 minutes at a time taking pictures of flowers. Shila is the most patient friend I have! So we packed up and headed out towards Globe. Wanna see what I found? These pictures are all from off of the Highway 60. I just kept pulling off and snapping away. I also tried the Silver King Mine Rd as suggested by a website but didn't find much. If you have the time, try to click on some of the pictures so they blow up in size.
Fabulous, huh? I want to go back next weekend!! And I had so much fun with my camera. :) I'm not sure that I'll take Shila next time. She wasn't a fan of hanging out by the side of the highway with all of the fast cars zooming by. Here are some pictures of us...
Hope you enjoyed all of the pictures! Sorry if I bored those that don't like a kazillion pictures of flowers. :)
Peace,
~kavita
12 comments:
love love LOVE the pics! we drove to Safford (head toward Globe and keep going for another hour and a half) to visit my family last week and almost drove off the road staring at the gorgeous show of flowers. the poppy is my favorite, but ALL of the wildflowers were amazing.
i contemplated whether or not to keep going on the 60. I made it to Globe and the next signs were for Safford but I decided to turn around otherwise I'm not sure I would have ever made it home! And yes the mexican gold poppies are my favorite too! :)
Beautiful! I've never been lucky enough to be in the desert when it's in bloom. Lucky you!
***Ally
AMAZING pictures ! Completely wonderful and mind blowing !
:)
Thanks Ally...it's nice to take a moment and feel thankful for living in a desert. :)
Thank you Kavi! I was proud of my work today.
Simply fabulous!! Though we lived in the desert for thirty odd years, never seen such beautiful & colourful wild flowers. Go get some more, Kuv.
Beautiful Pictures Kuv.
You could never bore anyone with pictures of flowers! Those pink and orange flowers are gorgeous! And to pop up in AZ? CRAZY!
Thanks Mum and Dad! Yes I'm amazed at this season's wildflower season and in a desert of all places. I wonder if Dubai has something similar that we didn't know about?
I have a lot of favorite pictures but the one with the orange globe mallow and the pink flowers is definitely one of them!
Absolutely gorgeous! :)
Kavita! wow wow wow! how fantastic. i am so impressed, your photos are great, you did such a good job of capturing all those beautiful wildflowers. Did you notice the smell too? and now did your husband wish he would have come along? what a great adventure you had! thanks for bringing us along.
xoxo
i'm looking forward to more if you go back out :)
Do you remember the wild flowers we saw in Lugano or Cork?? That was a beautiful display as well!! All Praise to the Creator!!
Post a Comment