Monday, March 30, 2009

What are my plans?

Today was not a good day at work. We learnt that one of our coworkers had passed away over the weekend. In respect for her and her family, I wish not to discuss this specifically. I'm blogging today because of all of the thoughts that are swimming ferociously through my mind.

After I breathed deeply through several rounds of the sun salutation, I layed on my yoga mat staring at the ceiling. I'd been holding it in the whole day and the weight of it all began to sink in. With the lights still dim, the little tears came up to air and stayed for a while. It was the release that I had needed the whole day. Once the tears were gone, my brain was given the freedom to soak it all in.

It's so hard to grasp the fact that one day somebody is here on this Earth and the next day they are not. The way they laugh, the way they wish you a good morning, the way they wear their hair, their unique mannerisms. It's all a part of reality. This person was a part of my reality. It was a given that I would experience the wholeness of this being. Just a given. And then one day they are here, and the next they aren't. Although you've read this before and heard it on a LifeTime movie special...

...life truely is precious.

Life is so dainty as it dangles on it's own precarious little thread.

It is a gentle reminder that today is the day that I must live consciously.

To Live in the Moment,
To Love so Deeply,
Today.

As I thought about how delicate our lives are, the questions stormed my mind. What if I were to leave this Earth tomorrow? Who would take Shila? Where would I be buried? Would I even want to be buried? How do I make sure that my organs and all useable body parts (I know, ewww) are donated? What happens to my car loan? Who is the beneficiary of my life insurance through work? Will Rich keep my plants alive?

I know that this discussion might be rather unconventional but shouldn't we have these questions answered now? So without much ado, I fired away questions to Rich asking him what his preferences were and what I should do if he were to leave tomorrow. I then let him ask me questions. And we talked about it. As morbid as it was at least I now have a better idea of what he wants and vice versa. From the small details to the big details, we're now both in the proverbial know. For example, I know now that being buried in India is not an option. Rich kindly reminded me that unless I had a whole lot of money to ship me over, that "my ass was going to be buried here". Oh yes, there was a bit of humor this evening. That's my sweet Rich for you. :)

I had planned on making my return to blogland today exciting, big and full of juice but I am here today with a completely different type of blog entry. I guess I am blogging just as I am today. I am writing to you with a heavy heart, finger tips dragging on the keyboard and slouched on the sofa. But from today we can all learn. We can all realize. We can all feel impacted. To feel highlighted in our weakness to breathe fully every day and be grateful for every moment. A reminder to live proudly of the life that we have been given.

11 comments:

Lori ann said...

Thank you for the reminder. And you are so right to have that conversation, I am procrastinating...it's so difficult.
take care ♥

Jan Holt said...

I've been thinking of you and hoping that you can find some measure of peace as you walk slowly forward on this path.

Losing anyone that our lives are touched by is so difficult. I think we all just have to regularly practice gratitude and abundantly relish our lives.

My last sentence made me think of hot dogs but that seems wildly inappropriate...sorry.

Anyway, I hope you know that I am carrying you in my thoughts.

bodaat said...

Dear Lori ann, it was difficult to start talking about it but once we got past the first couple of minutes, it was ok. It helps that we have a good sense of humor also. I hope your discussion with your hubby goes just as smoothly.

Jan - thank you for your thoughts. That means a lot. It has been hard these past couple of days but I hope you know that I welcome a bit of humor when I'm sad...I appreciated the relish reference. :)

Rosesq said...

Dear Kuv, I am so sorry that you lost a colleague from work. I know you have the inner strength to not only get over this but comfort others who need a shoulder to lean on.

Maybe this is a wake up call for all of us, who are Believers. Are ready to meet the Lord - Jehovah and Yeshua? So while we set our material things aright, we should also get our spiritual selves in order. For is it not said that death comes like a thief in the night, without any announcement.

I feel sorry for you friend's family, they must be going through living hell.

Love and Hugs

Mum

dresdendoll said...

It's difficult sometimes to really grasp the fact that today might be our last...and live accordingly. I've been to the point where I really didn't give a sh*t, but I have grown since then and I try to make every day worth it. Thanks for reminding me to do so. I'm sorry for your loss.

Lauren said...

I've never really thought of discussing these things, I mean really discussing them. Sorry about your friend at work, that's really a bummer.

bodaat said...

Thanks Mum. :) I think it's a wake-up call for all of us, no matter who we are. It certainly was for me.

Dresden - to make every day worth it...I hope I am doing that. I need to self-reflect on that.

Lauren - I hope you both talk about it sooner than later. :)

♥ Braja said...

I'm possibly rare in this aspect but i love discussions like that; it makes you feel alive, centred, focussed on reality...well done.

BTW, the two monks? No big deal for me here in India, but smiled at the thought of it happening there...I can only think it means you're blessed :)

bodaat said...

braja - thank you for coming to my blog!! i am kinda wierdly honored. :) i'm not super surprized that you are comfortable with this kind of discussion. you strike me as a very balanced person. and yes the sighting of the two monks was definitely unique and i can only hope what lovely things it could mean. :)

Andy said...

I know that you are exceptionally pragmatic, but thinking about your car loan and organ donation in the same blog is too funny.
Bethany gets mad at me when I tell her what I want her to do after I'm dead. It is an interesting conversation because short-term concerns seem to go right out the window when you are thinking about eternal matters.
I'm going to hug my very pregnant wife a little extra tonight. Thanks for reminding me to do that.

bodaat said...

Andy Pandy - I hope your hug was oh so sweet! :) And I hope that you are both able to have this kind of conversation if you haven't already. Seriously...it's peace of mind. Love you both lots!