I'm having one of those weeks where I am feeling just so grateful. Grateful to be alive, grateful to be so blessed, grateful for food and shelter, for loving family and friends, for a job, for our doggies, for ease of mind...just so grateful. This week has provided me with many opportunities for a reality check.
We briefly met a homeless man this week whom my friend is helping out. While we were visiting my friend, the gentleman came by her house. It was about 1:30pm in the afternoon. He was drenched in sweat from the Arizona sun. He sleeps in the neighborhood park. All he wanted yesterday was a bottle of water, a shower and some food. And my friend lets him in to her life every weekend to give him that.
That very same friend was in a brutal roll-over accident last week on the highway and miraculously walked away - no broken bones. A lot of bruises, but that's all. Thank God, she's ok.
Another close friend of mine supported her best friend through tragically losing her husband and son last week.
When Rich and I went to donate blood yesterday, we learnt that there are a lot of people who donate their platelets every weekend. Every weekend for 2 hours they sit, hooked up to a machine watching their blood travel in to the machine and then travel back to them, sans platelets. When I asked why these folks do this every weekend, the lady said that it's usually because somebody the donor loves has been touched by cancer. I looked across the room at the people that were hooked up to the platelet machine. I was filled with awe and sadness.
Needless to say, I've learnt a lot this week. And it's been a good reminder to be so very grateful for everything that Rich and I have in our lives.
9 comments:
I've been feeling rather gratelful too. Glad to hear your friend is okay after her accident:)
so good to read and be reminded, we have to be grateful every minute, every day.
bless those dear people.
xo♥
And I am so very grateful for you and your friendship. You are a superduper special gal!
Hugs,
Jan
It's funny you wrote this post. Just last week I started looking into places to donate platelets. Back in high school, I used to donate platelets every two weeks and whole blood every 8 weeks. Since I have a rare blood type, they would beg me to come in. The free Pepperidge Farm cookies after donating didn't hurt :) Once I got to college and had a job, life just got too crazy and I unfortunately never got around to doing it anymore.
I'm going to start back up once I get back from vacation. It's such a great way to literally give yourself to a life-saving cause. And I'm incredibly proud that you and Rich donated blood. Keep it up and thanks for spreading the word!
I love that feeling of gratitude. Realizing that my life is blessed, even when it doesn't feel like it.
Hey are we ever going to get together for tea?
That is such a great thing to do - to invite the homeless person to come in to clean up and have something to eat - I wonder if I will ever do that.
Also, I have never donated blood - I am too much of a chicken, but now I am thinking about it.
I liked reading this post - I am glad you are feeling the way you are feeling- just hold on to that feeling.
Wow, what a week, and what a lot to be grateful for! I personally am very grateful to have you in my life! x
Awww Kuv, such a beautiful post. My heart is warmed.
Loads of love,
Sahar
Lizzie, it is truely a miracle that Donna made it out okay. I am just so thankful for her safety.
Lori ann, I need the reminder often. I sometimes forget how blessed I am.
Thank you Jan!
Kelly, you may want to double-check. Not that this will deter your WELL DESERVED vacation, but you might have to wait a year to donate blood since you're going outside of the country. I could be wrong.
Helena, looking forward to our tea!
Thank you pink dogwood...and thank you for visiting. I really love your blog!
Mo - right back at you sister. love you lots.
Yes my heart has been warmed this whole week Sahar.
Post a Comment