There I said it.
Well technically - I yelled it. You just couldn't hear me.
Sigh.
A couple weekends after we got engaged, fiance and I stopped at a coffee shop with the intention to read and relax but as soon as our butts hit the wooden and uncomfortable seats we started talking about a wedding invite list. 30 minutes later and after much dialogue that circulated around these popular themes..
"who's that?"
"really, do you have to invite that person?"
"maybe she can be his 'plus one'"
...we had a list.End result?
150 people.
I know, I hear your gasps. I feel your gasps. I myself am still gasping. And ps - I wrote '150 people' in the smallest font possible in the hopes that it wouldn't feel so big but I don't think that really worked.
Yup, 150 people. Golly golly goodness, that's a lot. How did we manage to be related and befriend that many folks? We looked at the list again last weekend and managed to cut it down by about 10. Big whoop. I was hoping to cut it down by 50!
We also did take a jaunt through the Bridal Expo last weekend. By jaunt, I mean treacherous trip. And by treacherous trip I mean hellish experience. Remind me to never go to a Bridal Expo again, ok? It was amazing how much crap people will try to sell you as a 'must-have' for a wedding. I was also amazed to see many 'loose weight' boothes and 'let me sell you a house' boothes there were. Sales tactics are never lacking in creativity!
Wow, do I sound like a big grump or what?? Haha!
So let me be positive for a sec (but just one sec)...I will say that the one benefit of going to the Expo was that fiance and I began to get an idea of what we needed to start thinking of and more importantly, budgeting for. We're both trying for a simple ceremony and wedding mostly because we both see ourselves as pretty simple people. We're probably not going to have bridesmaids and groomsmen or a kazillion flowers everywhere. I'd also like to try and be as green as possible but I'm not sure that we'll be able to considering the cost.
Being an art fan, I was amazed at the beauty of the cakes at the Expo. They were truely beautiful! Here are some pics... (ps - I wish I had taken note of the bakeries so I could give them credit)...
So right now I'm taking a break from wedding planning. I got pretty overwhelmed this past Monday and thankfully Mo called and saved me from throwing my cellphone in to the wall. Yup, it was that bad. I did get myself a wedding planner (of the paper variety) as I was told that that would be helpful. It's been waiting patiently for me as I re-group myself for more planning.
I did see pictures of my brother-in-law's brother's wedding and I loved how intimate it was so perhaps fiance and I will try to re-create a smaller wedding invite list with that in mind but I doubt it. We really would love to have all of our family and friends there on our wonderful day!
I promised myself not to make this blog my 'wedding planning' blog but from time to time, I will keep you all updated. Sometimes it will be to vent. Sometimes to celebrate and sometimes because I'm too lazy to find writing fodder!
6 comments:
Wedding planning is fun when there is no budget and no timeline and no one to answer to. I think I stressed out almost through the complete process. So I feel your pain. We ended up with 300 people (we both have very large families).
When the day comes though - it is all worth it. So just remember that when you get stressed out. Because no matter what disasters happen along the way the most important thing is that at the end of it you are married.
Thank you for the incredibly sweet note Laura and for the wonderful advice. I'm trying to keep that perspective, keep it simple and keep myself simplified! I appreciate the words of empathy and encouragement. :)
Goodness, those cakes are AMAZING!!!! Works of art indeed.
Try to relax and make it the wedding you want it to be, after all, it is yours, and Rich's day. :)
Dearest Kuv,
I wish I had a magic wand to make all your problems go away.
Trust in God, He WILL make a way and see you through.
Mum
Have a shotgun wedding, like me!
I can't begin to describe how happy I am we didn't do the whole over the top wedding thing.
If you can't cut the list down then hire a wedding planner or share the planning with friends, mothers, whatever. You don't need to do it alone.
Mo - yes those cakes were amazing. Now some of them were painted on styrofoam (yes I stuck my finger in one) but still I have no doubt that they are just as beautiful in actual cake.
Mum - thank you for the re-assuring words! I need that from time to time. :)
Bella - first, let me say again how relieved I am that your name is shorter. Much easier! We're definitely not doing 'over-the-top'. And yes I will definitely have to enlist my friends' help!
Post a Comment