Now when I discovered that ATK had not only a magazine but a website too....oh my gosh...I fell in love all over again. www.cooksillustrated.com Go there and you will feel like you're in bathing in chocolate with Hugh Jackman. Seriously.
Ok, so I just paid serious hommage to ATK because I want to share with you one of their recipes that I tried out tonight. As I mentionned in my previous post (see below), I walked away from the Farmer's Market with a bunch of brussell sprouts. Whilst the rest of the world teases these little mini-cabbages for their apparently less than desirable taste, Rich and I love brussell sprouts! I know this is sooooo totally dorky but when I found out that Rich loved brussell sprouts, I fell in love with him just a little bit more. I know - Dork Alert!!!
Broiled Salmon with Mustard and Crisp Dilled Crust w/ Steamed Brussell Sprouts
Apologies for the awful flash-induced picture. I was too busy eating to really fidget with the camera settings. Guys, if you like seafood, please do try this recipe. It's very easy and incredibly delicious. You basically roast some bread crumbs, mix it in with some crushed chips (you heard me!) and chopped dill. After broiling the seasoned salmon, you slather on some Dijon Mustard and cover in the bread crumb mixture. Pop back in the oven and you're done in a minute. Fabulouso!
Also, whilst watching the Food Network I found out a fast way to steam veggies. Put about a centimetre of water in a low pan and bring to simmer by closed lid. Dump in the brussell sprouts and they'll be done in no time.
I hope ATK is ok with me posting this but here is the recipe...super duper awesome!
Ingredients
1 slice high-quality sandwich bread , crusts removed
1 ounce plain high-quality potato chips , crushed into rough 1/8-inch pieces, about 1/4 cup, (thick-cut and kettle-cooked preferred; ridged chips in a pinch)
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill leaves
2 skin-on salmon fillets , each about 8 ounces and 1 1/4 inches thick
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon table salt
Ground black pepper
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Instructions
1. Adjust one oven rack to uppermost position (about 3 inches from heat source) and second rack to upper-middle position; heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Pulse bread in workbowl of food processor fitted with steel blade until processed into fairly even 1/4-inch pieces about the size of Grape-Nuts cereal (you should have about 1/3 cup), about ten 1-second pulses. Spread crumbs evenly on rimmed baking sheet; toast on lower rack, shaking pan once or twice, until golden brown and crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Toss together bread crumbs, crushed potato chips, and dill in small bowl; set aside.
3. Increase oven setting to broil. Line baking sheet with foil and place salmon on foil. Rub each fillet evenly with 1/4 teaspoon oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil salmon on upper rack until surface is spotty brown and outer 1/2-inch of thick end is opaque when gently flaked with paring knife, 7 to 9 minutes. Remove fish from oven, spread each fillet evenly with mustard, and press bread crumb mixture onto fillets. Return to lower rack and continue broiling until crust is deep golden brown, about 1 minute longer. Use spatula to transfer salmon to serving plates, leaving skin behind on foil.
Et voila...please let me know if you try this out! One word of caution...when you put the salmon back in the oven with the bread crumb topping, keep a close eye on it and make sure you pull it out within a minute otherwise it will burn. Uh-hum. Let's just say that I had some direct experience with that tonight. :)
6 comments:
How'd you make the brussel sprouts? I love brussel sprouts, but I don't know how to prepare them.
I love, love, love brussel sprouts! Truly a traditional English vegetable. I am so happy because the girls love them as well. :)
I also adore ATK, its on PBS under a different name (recent change) usually on around my lunch time when I turn on PBS Create to get some ideas for dinner.
And I lllllooooooovvvvvveeeee me some brussels sprouts. They are tasty little bits of heaven in my world.
oh man, you're making me want to go to the farmers market today! but i have so much to do! but i wanna go and get fresh brussel sprouts! wah!
i love them too. and that salmon looks delicious. well done! i love that it has chips in it. yummy! which ones? salt and vinegar?
I love ATK! I just had a friend give me one of their cookbooks for my birthday last month and I've had such a great time trying out new recipes (all which have turned out fabulously).
Can't say that I'm a fan of brussel sprouts, but glad they turned out well! The meal looked terrific
Kelly - heat a bit of water in a pot, dump in the veggies, lid on and wait about 5-7 minutes. Check the veggies to see how done they are.
Mo - I'm glad your girls like them too! That's awesome!
Leaner - heaven indeed sister, heaven indeed. :)
Aartilla - just plain chips, that's all.
Erin - if you like ATK recipes, definitely try this one. I was amazed at how easy it was.
Post a Comment