Sunday, April 5, 2009

What should we do??

Sitting by the pool this afternoon, I heard a rather odd sound...the innocent cry of a little cat. Having had a cat of my own before (Harry!!!!), I recognized that the meow I was hearing was not a happy meow. It was a "i need a friend" kind of meow. So I got off the chair and moved closer to where the sound came from. It seemed to be coming from over the wall. I meowed back (yes, you may eye roll) and suddenly this little cat jumped over the wall.



No collar, no tags, nothing. Just a little kitten. She hung out with us at the pool for the next hour. At times laying on our tummies. At other times walking on our backs. She was adorable. We saw how skinny her belly was so Rich went back to the house and grabbed a can of tuna. That was certainly mistake #1. :) Little Roxy gobbled up the WHOLE can of tuna juice and tuna. The WHOLE can. :( Poor thing was so hungry!

After that Rich and I (having made the second mistake of naming her) felt our hearts aching for this little girly. She obviously was homeless and was craving attention and love. We decided to try and bring her home and see how the dogs would react, only she wouldn't really come in the house. Since the coaxing wasn't working, I finally picked her up and brought her in (while the dogs were locked outside in the yard). Little Roxy didn't seem too happy or relaxed in the house so with much heart ache, we let her out the front door and off she went.

I did go and get some kitty food from the store and put it outside the front door. 3 hours later, there she was again eating the food and meowing for us! Now our question is....what do we do?? About a half hr ago, Rich opened the front door and Roxy is still there. Sitting right outside the front door. Rich did try and take Taz out on leash to visit with Roxy. That visit did not go very well at all. Roxy growled and Taz whined. Shila would probably be ok but she knows there is a cat outside and she's acting very wierd. I don't trust her right now. And most importantly, Roxy reacted very badly to Taz which means she would probably be unhappy here.

So? Ideas? Thoughts? This little girl is ADORABLE! Anybody want a kitty? Right now we set up a blanket and some food/water outside the front door.





Here are some more pictures...




Please!! I need some advice before I try to bring her inside and make her my new baby. Uh-oh.

8 comments:

emmeline said...

Oh, she is sooooo cute... It's going to be hard giving her up!
and you have a pool?! I'm going to live in Phoenix! xx

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh Kavita, you know I am not the right person to ask because you know what I would do! What a gorgeous cat, but of course you do already have the dogs. Very difficult. Do you think they would all get used to each other or not?

DakotaO said...

Okay, first I have to say...you are spending your day at the pool and I am stuck in a blizzard - what gives? Secondly, this kitty is so cute! Reminds me of our old cat Cooper. Maybe you could have her checked to see if she has a chip? Maybe she is lost???

leaner said...

Cats ALWAYS hiss at dogs when they first meet. It is totally normal. I would bring her in, and make her my new baby if I were you. I mean, seriously. I think that if you ever plan to have kids, working with your dogs on accepting a cat is similar to getting them to accept a new baby. (While feeling safer, since cats can defend themselves! LOL)

Good luck, and I am sure that Roxy will be a nice new member of your family!

Lauren said...

I have no advice, just wanted to note how cute the two of are, and the how Rich looks like a toddler picking up a cat in that photo. Too fun! You never know, she could just be an outside cat and hang out outside until she's finally comfortable to come inside?

Andy said...

It is a cat. Leave it outside and put down food/water once a day. My parents have three cats that have never left the yard. You are both too kind.

Unknown said...

Keep her!!! She looks like our little addition to the family!!! Billie wanted to eat the cat when we first got her but now they play and sleep curled up next to each other in a month... They always hiss and sometimes swat.. I looked up online how to introduce them I think it was the American humane society website and it tells you to do it gradually.. you should look it up we followed it and it works! Roxy is a cute name!

bodaat said...

Hi friends! Thank you for all of the comments. I am trying to convince Rich to keep little Roxy but he ain't having it and I have to admit that I think he's right. I think she really does deserve a dog free home, without that stress. And while I would LOVE to keep her as an outside cat, she loves affection and I know would be happy with a real home. Plus, the summers are just so harsh! The ground is piping hot and she really should not be outside during that time. That being said, this little girl has 100% captured my heart! She already knows her name and comes running to me from afar when I call her. I'm glad that I can care for her until we find her a nice new home!