First I read Braja's account in Lost and Found in India of the sounds that she hears on a daily basis. I found myself projected in to a fast time travel sequence. Feeling transported to my various trips to India and seeking out the familiar sounds. I remember the early morning walla's in Bombay - they are folks that sell various things (milk, bananas, etc) and as they walk through town they shout their wares in a rhythmic call. Their calls permeate through households reaching the ears of potential wallets and purses. I love the sound of the walla's. There is such a comfort in their calls. Routine, expected and soothing.
The other sound that came rushing back to me was the sound of crows...my favorite bird call. Both my Mum and Dad grew up in Mangalore and we would travel back now and then. My Dad's family owns a beautiful house in Kulshekar and it's on a farm that I believe used to be a rice paddy (Dad, is that right?). I remember many stories my Dad used to tell us of him rolling around with the pigs as a young boy. I love telling that story - it makes me smile! And while we're at it, here is my FAVORITE pic of my Dad as a young teenager with his best buddy (he's on the left). They are both wearing lungi's which are traditional in the South.

Sorry Dad - had to do it. :) ps - nice 6 pack!
So back to my story, when we would go back to Mangalore to visit I would love the sound of the crows. Kaaaaaaaaa-kaaaa-kaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Their shrieks are nothing less than piercing but from afar, they again bring a certain calming energy, especially when they accompany a vacation nap in the late afternoon after a yummy lunch of pork curry and sannas (south indian bread). :)
After being transported back to the sounds of India, I then switched to reading Wandering Mind as Pink Dogwood talked about her perfect life and I realized that I would like to join her on any three of her perfect lives as they all sound delightful! Reading those scenarios brought me to a place of my eternal (but maybe not practical) longing to live in the country. To be surrounded by utter quiet that was sprinkled with little sounds that made it country living. It reminded me of the Mangalore quiet that was peppered with little sounds all day long. Thinking about living in a house on a farm brings me an inner peace. A rustic (ok, maybe not tooo rustic) kitchen, stone floors, white walls, lots of dogs (uh-duh, of course!) and white linens. Ahhhhh....peace. Relaxation. Calm...deep breathing.
I have to say that reading both of my friends' blogs was a very peaceful way to start the morning. Thank you Braja and Pink Dogwood!
So back to my story, when we would go back to Mangalore to visit I would love the sound of the crows. Kaaaaaaaaa-kaaaa-kaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Their shrieks are nothing less than piercing but from afar, they again bring a certain calming energy, especially when they accompany a vacation nap in the late afternoon after a yummy lunch of pork curry and sannas (south indian bread). :)
After being transported back to the sounds of India, I then switched to reading Wandering Mind as Pink Dogwood talked about her perfect life and I realized that I would like to join her on any three of her perfect lives as they all sound delightful! Reading those scenarios brought me to a place of my eternal (but maybe not practical) longing to live in the country. To be surrounded by utter quiet that was sprinkled with little sounds that made it country living. It reminded me of the Mangalore quiet that was peppered with little sounds all day long. Thinking about living in a house on a farm brings me an inner peace. A rustic (ok, maybe not tooo rustic) kitchen, stone floors, white walls, lots of dogs (uh-duh, of course!) and white linens. Ahhhhh....peace. Relaxation. Calm...deep breathing.
I have to say that reading both of my friends' blogs was a very peaceful way to start the morning. Thank you Braja and Pink Dogwood!
3 comments:
thank you bodaat - I thought if I think out loud maybe things will start to happen - even at subconscious level :)
Enjpy rest of your weekend :)
I've been off line for a few days and look what I miss! your shower, how wonderful, you look gorgeous in your purple dress, did you have fun? and not feel overwhelmed? I hope so. All the photos are great, you must be getting so excited.
Sorry to hear you were in pain. It sounds like you know how to manage it. Will it go away on it's own? i hope so.
and last, what a great photo to have of your Dad. It's so interesting to me to hear about India, a place I've never been (yet). It was sweet of you to thank Braja and Bhavana.
take good care,
love,
lori
I had no idea you were "of this country" :)) Lovely stories, bodaat :)) More :)
Post a Comment