Monday, March 22, 2010

Flowers like grapes

Now there is this tree in our housing complex and once a year I fall so deeply in love with its blossoms.  And it only blossoms about once a year I believe and only for about a week.  It's one of those trees that you probably don't notice unless it's that particular time of the year.  Want to see it?


If you blink, you might miss the flowers.  You probably won't miss the twisted trunk though.  :)


Get a bit closer.  Don't they look like bunches of grapes?


And yet closer, you can see that these grapes are actually petals of a beautiful purple color, bunched together.


Looks like one of my favorite colors - tanzanite.


And don't forget these guys that sprinkle the tree.  They look like little pods.  Or maybe gigantic caterpillars.  Or let's be honest...they kind of look like my dog's poop.  :)


And the bees...they love the blossoms.  Can you see two in this picture?


Can't blame them really when the flowers are just so pretty!

And so every year when this tree blossoms, I stare in amazement at how gorgeous nature is and I feel especially blessed to have it right outside my front door.  And now a question to you all.  Does anybody know the name of this tree???  I heard it might be a jackaranda?  Anybody, anybody?  Mum, do you know?  Michelle?  Somebody!  :)

9 comments:

pink dogwood said...

pretty flowers - could it be this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cercis_siliquastrum

aartilla the fun said...

at first, i thought it might be jacaranda... but then i remembered that when a jacaranda blooms, it's as if the very leaves themselves turn purple. googled it, and this is what the flowers look like:
http://mgonline.com/media/Images/j/jacaranda01.jpg

so i have no idea what these are, but they're GORGEOUS!

bodaat said...

huh, i'm not sure it's either of those. i'm so stumped!

Lori ann said...

I know this! and i am drawing a blank! i'm off to look at my Sunset garden book.

thanks so much Kavita for the link, i have that one bookmarked, it's a great source for current news! have you found out where to go in your area??

Lori ann said...

i think it's a kind of wisteria. but still not sure. i forgot to say how beautiful your photos are!

Rosesq said...

Kuv, I searched the web yesterday and I could not find the name you requested. Maybe Romila can help?? Aunty Angela and Romila are great at identifying plants. So over to the Mascys:)

bodaat said...

Lori ann, I think I have a pretty good idea although I'm in a bit of a pinch as I have lost my camera battery charger! Arghhh! I might go this weekend but I'm not sure if my camera will last without being charged. I might have to make a trip to Best Buy.

Mum, I'll have to mention it to Romi! Thanks for trying though. I might ask the nursery next time I'm there.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Bo, just read this...........it is a Texas Mountain Laurel. My Father in Law has one across the street from us. Great for bees and hummingbirds! Hope that answers your question. :)

bodaat said...

Ooooh, thank you Mo!! You're fabulous!