In November after many dance classes, we had a tap dancing recital dancing to Boot Scootin' Boogie by Brooks and Dunn. I'll be honest...I wasn't thrilled with the song choice. I'm not a huge fan of Country music unless it's Shania. But I went along with it because for one - I had no choice in the music pick and two - tap dancing rocks! So imagine my GLEE when I found out on Thursday that this winter we are dancing to one of my favorite ass-shaking songs!! Ain't No Other Man by Christina Aguilera!
There I was amongst my classmates learning the first 16 beats of the dance. At this point we had no idea what we were dancing to. We were just practising the moves to get things going. Our teacher tells us to get in to our positions and then she walks over to her ipod machine thing and hits plays. I was in HEAVEN when I recognized the familiar beat and yes, I did wiggle my butt and then squealed out "this is my FAVORITE song!!!". The other girls got a kick out of that. And then...we danced the night away. Well, at least the next half hour away.
The best part? Our teacher is teaching us sassy tap dancing. No this isn't a technical dance term. There's just an inherent sassiness in the dance steps that we already have down. There are some sexy jazz hands, sharp hair flipping head turns...etc, etc.... So if you missed the last tap dancing recital have no fear because this winter's will definitely be better.
Now on to the not so pleasant news. My hip did hurt. Sigh. I feel like I'm 80 years old. I'm determind to not let it stop me. I took a Celebrex 20 minutes before class started and next time I will take it at least an hour before hand as my dear friend Mo informed me that 20 minutes is not enough time. Silly me. At the beginning of class I had no idea whether I was going to be able to make it through the winter, let alone the class. But the Celebrex did kick in and now that I know that we're dancing to Christina, I - am - determined.
Hip pain, you ain't gonna win this time!!
So as the classes progress, I will definitely keep you all posted. I just know that this round of classes is so going to rock! And I am just so happy that I've found the wonderful world of tap dancing. :) To end here is Christina at MTV's 2006 Music Awards. Now I can't promise you that we'll be ripping our skirts off and dancing in little hot shorts but what I can promise you is that we will be just as sassy!!
ps - I apologize for the insane use of exclamation marks in this post. It was somewhat un-necessary but unbelievably hard to avoid.
No comments:
Post a Comment